Sunday, September 7, 2014

Dating In Middle School?

Happy Sunday! I hope you've had a nice, relaxing weekend! Today I'm writing about something that's pretty controversial, and although it may seem innocent, it has brought up a lot of issues that tweens/teens face today. This is indeed dating in middle school. 

Now, before you come at me with angry comments, let me say that it is up to your parents to decide the age of when you should start dating/be in a relationship. If you really want any advice, you should talk to them. Also, if you're already dating in middle school, just know that I'm not trying to shoot you down, but rather expressing my views about the topic. 

First, let me explain the different types of motives and relationships that I see middle schoolers have when it comes to dating. I feel very strongly that most middle school teens are dating just for the sake of having a boyfriend or a girlfriend. I'll go online to social media websites and see so many girls/boys practically bragging about how they have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Some like doing this because of the impression it gives towards their peers. Some find it cool, believing that they're "older" or "mature" because they're in a relationship. Whatever the reason, it definitely makes them feel special.

Then there are the teens who date only because they "like" the person. I see many teens(mostly girls) who "like" the person, date them, lose interest in them(sometimes because of a first fight, or for no reason at all), and then drop them. The process keeps repeating, and soon, they've already been with eight or ten guys/girls! It sounds unrealistic, but it's true!

The main cause for all of this simply might mean these teens are unaware of what a true relationship is. If anyone is in a relationship, I believe they should love them, not like them(there's a difference). For instance, you like your celebrity crush, but you love your mom and dad. Your boyfriend/girlfriend should lean towards the "love" spectrum more than the "like," right? 

If you don't know what love is, then I'll tell you right now that love isn't posting your relationship status on social media or holding hands and kissing in public. Love definitely isn't boastful, proud, or rude. Love is staying together and overcoming hardships. Love is accepting each other for who you are. Love doesn't have to be flashy or dramatic for you to feel it. Love is...well....love! 

I feel that if middle schoolers aren't mature enough for a relationship like this, they should wait until they're older. Sure, it can be fun to have a non-serious relationship, but is it really worth it? Or is your relationship more like friend-status?

If you're in a middle-school relationship right now, just remember what a true relationship is, and don't stay in it if it isn't worth the hardships you'll face as a couple. On the other hand, if you're not in a middle-school relationship, don't worry about it! Ignore those girls on social media! You have your whole life ahead of you. My advice would be to learn from the mistakes from others around you, and wait until you're older to have a long-lasting relationship that's really worth it. 

I hope you have enjoyed today's post! Remember to stay beautiful and be yourself!

See ya around!

Xoxo,

Kiley

P.S Please share my blog with your friends! It would really make me smile :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment